Potato Enchiladas? Really?
Being a former New Mexican, I never would have thought of using potatoes for Enchilada Filling, but I was so wrong!
With the addition of mushrooms, and a little dab of Tofu Sour Cream on top these potato enchiladas are the BOMB!
Oh my gosh – and the sauce…… Who knew homemade enchilada sauce could be so easy and tasty.
When my daughter and wife go back for seconds, you know it’s good.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Start by making this amazingly easy Enchilada Sauce.
One taste of this and you’ll wonder why you ever bought that canned stuff in the stores.
So fresh soooooo good!
- 8oz can of Tomato Sauce
- 1.5 Tablespoons of Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
Whisk this all together in a small saucepan and slowly add 1 1/2 cups of cold water.
Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously, until it thickens.
Tofu Sour Cream
This sour cream is 100% Dairy-Free.
If you’ve never experimented with Tofu – don’t be afraid to give this a try.
You’ll be amazed how close this comes to the real thing.
- 1 package Extra Firm Tofu
- 2-3 Tbls Lemon Juice
- 1-2 Tbls Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2-3 Tbls of water for consistency
Add all the ingredients to a blender,
Start with 1 Tablespoon of each liquid and add more, one by one, until you get the taste and consistency you like.
- 4 large Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 8 oz Mushrooms
- 3/4 cup Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 tsp Pickled Jalapenos (minced)
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- Pepper to taste
- 1 handful Fresh Spinach (sliced into strips)
- 2 1/2 cups Enchilada Sauce
- 8 Tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Boil potatoes in enough water to cover for 5 minutes, drain.
- Saute onion and garlic in 1/4 cup broth until softened
- Add another 1/4 cup broth and mushrooms, cook till softened
- Add last 1/4 cup of broth, spices, and potatoes
- Stir until heated through and bubbly
- Stir in spinach and remove from heat
- Lay potato mixture down center of each tortilla and roll
- Lay each enchilada, seam side down, in a 13" x 9" Baking Dish
- Cover with remaining sauce
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 min
Top with salsa, fresh tomatoes, shredded lettuce, or Tofu Sour Cream
Need A Little Help?
Subscribe Now and I'll send you "Five Easy Steps to Becoming a Brand New Vegan" including 5 of my very best recipes!