Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference – Robert Frost
Years ago, I too, came to a fork in the road.
You see, I was not exactly in the best of health. I was overweight, smoked, had high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and was approaching my 50’s.
Time felt like it was running out.
Now I could have taken the well-beaten path like everyone else.
Do nothing and wait for the inevitable heart attack, or go see my doctor for my daily dose of Lipitor. After all, this is exactly the path that millions of American’s will take this year.
They’ll take the pills, and have the stents, and be laid up unable to work for weeks on end as their medical bills slowly dissolve their savings. And that’s if they’re lucky enough to have insurance or to have any savings at all.
And afterward, they’ll continue to eat their fried chicken, and bacon, and BBQ, and triple cheeseburgers, and never think twice about their next hospital visit.
Until it comes.
But I learned something years ago, that changed my whole direction.
I see things totally differently now, and as the poem goes – that has made all the difference.
Food Is Way More Important Than We Thought
Think about it.
Just about every single major health condition we have today – whether it’s heart disease, or diabetes, or obesity, or even cancer….. can be linked to what we put on the end of our forks.
And sadly, many of our doctors don’t know this. No, not because they don’t want to, but because nutritional training is not required in medical school.
What they DO know, is how to treat symptoms with one pill or another. And some even become specialists, trained in putting you to sleep, or cutting you open to remove that tumor or bypass that artery.
But food or nutrition?
What does that have to do with anything?
Well, I’m here to tell you – everything.
The research and clinical studies that prove a plant-based vegan diet is the best diet for your health have been out for years.
And to be fair, there are some doctors who DO know this. And slowly, ever so slowly, more and more doctors are getting onboard. There’s not that many yet, but their numbers are growing.
- Doctors like Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn and Dr. Dean Ornish, who actually reversed heart disease in patients who were given up for dead, just by changing their diet.
- Doctors like Dr. John McDougall and Dr. Neil Barnard who have successfully reversed diabetes and a number of other conditions.
No, I learned years ago, that food DOES matter, and so right then and there – I chose the road less traveled.
To Be Different
Because I AM different.
- I’m that round peg that doesn’t quite fit in the square hole.
- I’m the rebel, that ‘weird vegan guy’ who doesn’t eat meat.
- I’m the troublemaker who always made sure there’s a veggie dish at the company BBQ.
- I don’t work a traditional 9-5 job either
- Instead, I write a blog about the Vegan Recipes I cook.
I get it. I’m not like everyone else.
But because I went down that road less traveled…..?
- My blood pressure is down
- My cholesterol is down
- My weight continues to drop
- I’m probably healthier now than I was in high school
- I’ve never had surgery
- In fact, I’ve never been in a hospital at all, other than to visit others.
Yep, just by changing the foods I eat.
So yeah, I CHOOSE to be different! And if that makes me a crazy one – then so be it.
My health matters.
No, I’m not out to change the world, but if I can help heal myself and my family, then that will have made all the difference in the world.
My world anyway.
You can do this too. Make a difference.