Yesterday was a cold and snowy day in the Pacific Northwest …..perfect for making this big yummy pot of …..
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili!
I absolutely love chili – but have always been used to traditional Texas Style (bean/tomato sauce) chili with lots of spice.
This version is a little different in that it uses Black Beans AND Sweet Potatoes making it super healthy – chock full of vitamins, antioxidants, and our all important fiber.
And when served with my Sweet Cornbread Muffins?
And better yet – it uses everyday ingredients that you probably already have in the pantry (and that won’t break the bank!)
Sweet Bell Peppers
Diced Green Chiles
Chipotle Peppers with Adobo Sauce
Speaking of breaking the bank….. Cauliflower – sheesh! What’s up with the price of Cauliflower anyways?!
I’m sure this will be in my lunches for the next few days – providing this wintry mix of snow and ice allows me to get back to work!
In the meantime – I think I’ll enjoy my snow day and eat some of this yummy Black Bean Chili.
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili
This is a very simple one pot recipe to make.
Simply saute a small onion with a couple of Sweet Bell Peppers (red & green) and Garlic until softened. Then add a little 4oz can of diced Green Chile and 2 chopped Chipotle Peppers (with their Adobo Sauce).
The Chipotles add an amazing smoky flavor but can be left out if you want.
Now simply add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally.
I do like to use Masa Flour as a thickener towards the end of the boil. I like the slight corn/tamale flavor it adds and it does a great job of thickening up the stew, but it can be left out if you want.
Now serve up a big bowl with some piping hot Cornbread Muffins.…
Healthy, cheap, easy clean-up.
- 1 small Onion (diced)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (diced)
- 1 can Diced Green Chiles (4oz)
- 2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo (diced)
- 1 Sweet Potato (cubed)
- 2 cans Diced Tomatoes (15 oz cans)
- 2 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 2 cans Black Beans, rinsed & drained (15oz cans)
- 2 Tbs Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 Tbls Masa Flour
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- Saute onions and peppers in a little veggie broth until softened
- Add Green Chiles and stir to combine
- Add Broth and Tomatoes
- Add Sweet Potato
- Add Spices and adjust to taste
- Add rinsed and drained Beans
- Stir to thoroughly mix and bring to a boil
- Sprinkle on Masa Flour if using and stir thoroughly
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 hour