Inspired by my recent trip to New Mexico – one of the first meals I prepared when I got home – was of course – New Mexican! And I can’t think of any better accompaniment to any southwestern meal than homemade Spanish Rice.
Most Spanish Rice recipes will have you brown the rice in oil or even (gasp!) butter. Tasty for sure – but I personally can do without all that added fat. There had to be a better way.
Looking over at my counter I just happened to spy my rice cooker…….and the rest – as they say – was history.
Easy Spanish Rice in a Rice Cooker
Not only is this version vegan, fat-free, AND much healthier, it’s all super easy! No muss no fuss. Just dump all the ingredients into a Rice Cooker and press go. Can’t be any easier than that.
- 2 cups Rice
- 1 3/4 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 3/4 cups Water
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes (15oz)
- 1 small Red Onion (chopped)
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1 can Chopped Green Chiles (4oz)
- 3 Tbs Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Place 2 cups of your favorite rice into a rice cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, chopped onion, bell pepper, and chiles
- Add the tomatoes and the juice.
- Add the spices
- Slowly add the broth and water.
- Give it a quick stir to combine the spices, add the lid and press GO!
After about 40 minutes or so you’re rice cooker should switch over to ‘warm’ (mine does anyway), carefully remove the lid and fluff with a fork.
If you’re feeling adventurous – instead of a can of tomatoes and chiles, you can try a can of Rotel – but it will be a tad bit spicier. The little ones may not be able to eat it. Also I think Rotel comes in a 10oz cans so you may need to adjust your liquid accordingly.
I’ve made this with white rice and it seemed a bit ‘soupy‘ when it was done, but after a quick fluff and stir, the moisture was absorbed and it turned out great!