I saw this incredible photo the other day that looked SO good I KNEW I had to try it! So here is my version of Oil-Free Caponata Pasta and I hope you like it as much as I do.
- 1 med eggplant, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 med red onion, diced
- 1 med zucchini, cubed
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (14 oz)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 Tbs capers
- salt, pepper
- fresh parsley & basil to taste (maybe 1/4 cup each) and for garnish
- 2 cups of your favorite pasta
- Cut your eggplant into 1″ rounds and then into evenly sized cubes. Roast them in a dry pan until slightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- In a saucepan, saute a diced red onion until softened, then add in the celery, zucchini, and bell pepper. Cook over low heat until softened, then stir in the minced garlic.
- Add the tomatoes and vinegar and stir until everything is mixed well. Season with oregano.
- Add the eggplant back in and mix.
- Stir in the raisins, olives, and capers.
- Season to taste and add fresh basil and parsley to taste.
- Prepare pasta and when it’s almost done, add it to the sauce along with a ladle of the pasta water to thin if needed.
- Garnish with parely and/or basil and serve with a side salad or a nice hunk of crispy bread.