These Vegan Coney Island Hot Dogs will be sure to bring back happy childhood memories! The Coney Sauce can be poured over any Vegan Hot Dog, especially my homemade Carrot Dogs! (extra napkins highly recommended)
- 6 – 8 Smoky Vegan Carrot Dogs
- Buns or Bread of your choice
- Yellow Mustard
- Chopped Onion for garnish
- 2 cups Cauliflower, finely chopped or riced
- 1/2 cup Mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Walnuts, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 Tbs Soy Sauce, low sodium
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs Dried Onion Flakes
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 3/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Celery Seed
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 can Tomato Paste, 6 oz
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth (low sodium)
- 1 Tbs Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbs Yellow Mustard
- 1 tsp Vegan Worchestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- If cooking Carrot Dogs on the stove, begin following the Smoky Vegan Carrot Dog Recipe to start them marinating. Otherwise, if you have an Instant Pot, continue on.
- Chop Cauliflower, mushrooms, and walnuts uniformly, and stir in soy sauce to coat.
- Spread evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes. Pull out half way through and stir.
- Meanwhile, finely dice the onion and saute in a large pan with a few tablespoons of veg broth to keep from sticking. After onion has softened, stir in minced garlic.
- Once the cauliflower has finished in the oven, add it to the pan with the onions and stir thoroughly.
- Add the onion flakes, chili powder, salt, cumin, celery seed, and pepper and stir to mix well.
- Add the tomato paste, water, and veg broth and stir thoroughly to mix
- Add the maple syrup, mustard, Worcestershire, and vinegar and stir thoroughly to mix
- Simmer 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to allow flavors to meld.
- If it looks too thick, simply add water to thin. If it looks too thin, continue heating to reduce.
- Finally, prepare Carrot Dogs in Instant Pot per recipe.
To assemble – place a Carrot Dog in whatever bread or bun you choose and smother liberally with the coney sauce. Of course, a ‘proper’ coney has a stripe of yellow mustard and freshly chopped onions – but feel free to fix these up any way you want!
Keywords: vegan coney island hot dogs