With fall officially underway, what could be more comforting than a nice hot bowl of Potato Leek Soup? Here’s a tip – add a few french fries as a garnish…talk about GOOD!
- 2 Russet Potatoes (or 3 Yukon Golds)
- 2 Leeks
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 4 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Vegan Worchestershire Sauce
- Fresh Chives for garnish
- Trim off the root end of each leek, and all but about 1″ of the dark green leaves of the other end. Cut the leeks lengthwise (root to tip) and then slice into 3/8″ ribbons
- Add chopped leeks to a bowl of cold water and rinse thoroughly. Drain leeks and add to a large soup pot.
- Add just enough water or veg broth to prevent sticking, and saute the leeks until they are very soft. About 10-15 minutes. Add 1 clove of minced garlic and stir.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the potatoes into equal sized cubes and add to the soup pot.
- Add 4 cups of low sodium vegetable broth, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and cover. Let simmer until potatoes are very soft – about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend using your blender or immersion blender.
- Stir in Worcestershire Sauce.
- Taste and adjust any seasonings.
- If too thick simply add a little more broth or water.
- Garnish with fresh chives, parsley, crispy french fries, or vegan sour cream.
Keywords: vegan potato leek soup