This is the PERFECT late-summer recipe. I used fresh summer squash, fresh corn, and Hatch Chiles. If you like squash these Calabacitas are for you!
- 1 white onion
- 2 zucchini squash
- 2 yellow squash
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup Hatch green chiles (or sub 4oz can)
- 1 cup fresh corn on the cob
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- vegan queso fresco for garnish (optional)
- Dice onion, place in a bowl and set aside.
- Chop squash into bite-sized pieces and place in a separate bowl
- Carefully cut the corn off the cob into a third bowl and set aside
- In a large skillet, slowly saute onions over low heat for at least 15-20 min, use veg broth or water to prevent sticking. Cook until they turn a nice golden tan (caramelized).
- Add squash and tomatoes, mix well, increase heat to med, and cover 5-10 min. Do not overcook!
- Add garlic and chiles, stir to combine. Heat 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in corn and seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook an addition 1-2 minutes and serve with fresh cilantro and/or my vegan queso fresco
Keywords: oil-free Calabacitas