Who says you can't have Beans and Rice for breakfast? In this recipe, I'm making the iconic Costa Rican dish called Gallo Pinto. Basically, Vegan Beans and Rice, with a Central American twist.
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 15 oz can black beans (drained)
- 2 tablespoons salsa lizano (can sub vegan Worcestershire sauce or Jamaican Pickapeppa Sauce)
- 2 cups cold (cooked rice)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Add 1 cup of diced onion to a skillet with 1-2 Tablespoons water/veg broth to prevent sticking.
- Saute on medium heat for 1 minute, stirring frequently
- Add peppers and continue sauteing for 1 minute, stirring frequently
- Stir in tomatoes and saute 30 seconds.
- Add garlic, stir, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain beans and add them to the pan
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of the sauce and the cilantro
- Finally, add the cooked rice and stir well to combine, breaking up any clumps
- Cook until heated through.
- Garnish with additional cilantro, chopped onions, or sauce
Keywords: blue zones, Gallo pinto, vegan beans and rice