Homemade vegan burgers using just four ingredients. No meat, no fat, no cholesterol, no dairy, no eggs, no weird science project chemicals – just whole foods – and they happen to be plant-based too. Recipe by Jeff Novick.
- 2 cans Kidney Beans, Low Sodium ((15oz))
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Brown Rice ((cooked))
- 1/4 cup Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Mrs Dash Seasoning
- Rinse and drain the beans thoroughly and then place them in a large bowl.
- Mash them well until you almost got refried beans. It’s ok to leave some chunks in.
- Add the oatmeal, rice, sauce, and spices.
- Make sure your hands are clean and dig in – mix and squeeze. Just like mom used to make her meatloaf.
- Once mixed well – form and shape into patties.
- Important! Place the burgers on a plate in the fridge and forget about them for at least 20 minutes. This allows them to set up and get firm.
- Grill both sides (5 min or so) to get those lovely grill marks.... Remember the longer you grill them the harder and drier they become. We don't want any hockey pucks!
I like my burgers on a grill but they can also be baked or pan seared in a non-stick pan.
For grilling I baste mine with either a BBQ or Teriyaki Sauce for extra flavor. Be careful turning as these to have the tendency to break apart. Remember there’s not all that fat and gristle to hold them together.
Depending on your grill and distance from the heat - grill 10 minutes or so on each side or until done.
Now all that’s left is to dress them up with lots of veggies and the condiments of your choice.
Yum! Dig in.