Fresh onions, bell peppers, black beans, and tomato sauce come together in a fresher, healthier, version of my favorite sandwich .
- 1/2 Onion ((diced))
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper ((diced))
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper ((diced))
- 2 cloves Garlic ((minced))
- 1 can Black Beans (Low Sodium) ((15oz))
- 1 can Tomato Sauce ((8oz))
- 3 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Prepared Yellow Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce (Low Sodium)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onion & peppers in few tablespoons of water or veg broth until softened.
- Add garlic and continue sautéing until fragrant - about 1 minute.
- Rinse and drain beans. Mash with potato masher or fork and add to veggie pot
- Add tomato sauce and paste and stir to combine
- Add spices, adjusting to taste as necessary
- Serve on buns, toast, potatoes, rice, or pasta
Based on Mary McDougall's recipe in the McDougall Quick & Easy Cookbook.