These may not be the BEST homemade bagels, but they ARE fun to make and they taste pretty darn good too.
- 16 oz bread flour - divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cup very warm water
- 1 tablespoon molasses plus 2 teaspoons for boiling
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt plus 1 tablespoon for boiling
- 2 teaspoons baking soda for boiling
- 1-2 teaspoons cornmeal for baking
- "vegan egg wash"
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon each of dried onion flakes, white sesame seeds, flaxseed
- kosher salt to taste
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 8 oz of bread flour, yeast, water, and 1 tablespoon molasses.
- Whisk until thoroughly combined, cover, and let rest for 30 minutes
- Add remaining flour and 1 1/2 tsp salt and using the dough hook, knead for 10 minutes.
- Scrape the dough out onto a floured work surface and form into a smooth ball. Return to mixing bowl, cover, and let rise for 60 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl and carefully weigh out 3.0 to 3.5 oz portions of dough.
- Form each portion into a tight ball, and using a well-floured finger and thumb, poke a hole and stretch dough into a doughnut shape. Place each bagel onto a floured baking sheet, and sprinkle flour over the tops. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.
- In a large pan, boil 4-6 cups of water, a tablespoon of salt, the baking soda, and 2 teaspoons of molasses.
- Working in batches of 2-3 at a time, place bagels in water and simmer for 2 min, per side
- Remove from water and allow to drain on a cooling rack
- Dust a baking sheet with cornmeal, arrange the boiled bagels, brush the tops with the vegan egg wash, and then sprinkle the seasoning on top
- Bake in a 400° F oven for 20-25 minutes
Keywords: homemade bagels