A simple, oil-free, plant-based vegan Cornbread, perfect for dunking into a hot bowl of soup or chili on a cold rainy day.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour (AP or Bread Flour)
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk (I use Almond)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- Whisk the milk and vinegar together and set aside
- Sift the dry ingredients together into a large bowl and mix thoroughly
- With a large spoon or rubber spatula, slowly stir in the applesauce and maple syrup.
- Add the vegan buttermilk mixture we just made and stir just long enough to make a smooth batter
- Pour batter into a parchment-lined pan, seasoned iron skillet, or muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean
A small amount of creamed corn, added to the batter adds a nice texture but is optional. I also removed the white sugar from the original recipe - feel free to add up to 2 Tbs if you like sweet cornbread or use more maple syrup
Keywords: vegan cornbread,