The next time you ask the question "What can I do with squash besides make soup?", you have to look up this recipe for Butternut Squash Posole!
It's the perfect Starch Solution recipe - with a New Mexican twist.
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups New Mexican Red Chile sauce
- 1 cup of water (or more to thin as needed)
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 25oz can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1-2 Tbs cilantro
- salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare Red Chile Sauce according to recipe - set aside 2 cups
- Peel and cube about 2 cups of squash. Set aside.
- To a large dutch oven, add onion, poblano, and enough veg broth to keep it from sticking
- Once the veggies are softened, add garlic, oregano, and cumin
- Stir and simmer 1 minute
- Add chile sauce and water. Stir well and bring to a boil
- Add squash. When the soup comes back to a boil, reduce heat and cover
- Simmer 15-20 min or until squash is just tender
- Add hominy and cilantro and stir to mix.
- Simmer an additional 5-10 min
- Serve with your choice of garnish
Keywords: butternut squash posole