Looking for something that will please everyone at the table this Holiday Season? Then you HAVE to try my Holiday Vegan Meatloaf. Not only does it have tons of veggies, whole grains, AND beans … it slices perfectly for those comforting meatloaf sandwiches.
- 8 oz portobello mushrooms
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauc
- 1 onion (about 2 cups diced)
- 2 ribs celery
- 2 med carrots
- 1 small sweet potato
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup bulgur (soaked in 1/4 cup water)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp thyme
- 3/4 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 15 oz chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- Add bulgur and 1/4 cup of water to a shallow dish. Set aside.
- Prep all veggies by dicing them into evenly-sized 1/4″ cubes.
- Slice mushrooms and saute in soy sauce just until liquid is released
- Add the rest of the diced veggies and cook until veggies have softened and liquid has evaporated
- Add garlic, stir, and remove from heat. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, add everything from the Grain Group, including the bulgur we set aside earlier
- Add the tomato paste and drained beans last.
- Mix thoroughly. I used a fork and potato masher.
- Add all the cooked veggies and continue mixing and mashing. I even used my hands, just like mom used to do!
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Line a 1.5qt Pyrex loaf pan with parchment paper
- Add meatloaf mixture to loaf pan compressing as you go
- Smooth top and brush on ketchup or your favorite sauce
- Bake for 1 hour
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes
- Remove from loaf pan, and slice.
Keywords: Vegan meatloaf