I remember my mom making these when I was young, using ground beef of course. So I made these Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers with my tofu taco crumbles and they were simply incredible! Even better than the original! (sorry mom)
- 3 bell peppers, any color
- 1 batch tofu taco crumbles
- 1 onion, diced & divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked, cold rice
- 1 cup of your favorite Marinara sauce
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbls balsamic vinegar
- Prepare the tofu crumbles according to the recipe - stopping when you remove them from the oven. Do NOT add the water at the end.
- Meanwhile, mix the marinara, broth, and vinegar and pour into the bottom of a deep 9" x 13" casserole dish
- Clean and cut 3 bell peppers of any color lengthwise. Remove the ribs and seeds. Set aside.
- Dice and saute 1 onion, just until translucent. Stir in garlic for 1 minute.
- Remove half of the onions and stir them into the marinara sauce.
- When tofu crumbles are dried, add them to the skillet with the remaining onion.
- Add the Rotel tomatoes and rice and simmer for 1-2 minutes, mixing well
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Stuff each pepper half with the filling and arrange in the casserole dish on top of the sauce
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes
- Remove foil, sprinkle on your favorite vegan cheese shreds if desired, and continue baking for an additional 10-15 minutes
Keywords: vegan stuffed bell peppers