One thing I miss about living in New Mexico is Green Chile Stew. It's easy enough to adapt and let me tell you, this Vegan Green Chile Stew is just as amazing as the original.
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 3 ribs celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 16oz (1lb) baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 large tomatoes
- 32 oz (1qt) low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced hatch green chile (or more to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Dice onion, celery, and carrots and add to a 6 qt Dutch Oven
- Saute the veggies in a little veg broth until softened
- Add the garlic and spices and mix well
- Add the mushrooms and let them cook down a little
- Dice the tomatoes and add them, and the green chiles to the stew
- Stir well and cook for 1 minute
- Dice the potatoes and add them, and the broth. Mix well.
- Bring the pot to a simmer, lower the heat, and cover
- Simmer until the potatoes are soft, about 30-45 minutes.
- Adjust any seasoning and add cilantro if desired.
- Enjoy one of my most favorite comfort foods from New Mexico!
Keywords: vegan green chile stew