A warm spicy Mexican Tortilla Soup perfect for driving the cold winter chill away. One pot and only a few ingredients makes this a fast, healthy meal.
- 1 small Onion or Leek
- 3 cloves Garlic ((minced))
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper ((diced))
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper ((diced))
- 2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce ((diced))
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Mexican Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 cup Chunky Salsa
- 2 cans Fire Roasted Tomatoes ((15 oz ea))
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth ((low sodium))
- 2 cans Black Beans ((15 oz ea))
- 5 Corn Tortillas
- Avocado ((optional))
- Chopped Green Onions ((optional))
- Lime Wedges ((optional))
- Vegan Sour Cream ((optional))
- Chop leek and mince garlic and add to large soup pot.
- Saute in a little veggie broth until softened.
- Add Bell Peppers and Chipotle Peppers and simmer until softened.
- Add all spices and stir well.
- Add Salsa.
- Add Tomatoes (with juice)
- Add Veggie Broth
- Bring to a simmer and stir well
- Drain beans and add to pot
- Simmer 15-20 minutes ir until heated through.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cut Corn Tortillas into 1/2" wide strips
- Add strips to a plastic bag or paper sack and toss with spices if desired (optional but good - chile powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, garlic salt etc. I used 1/2 tsp each with a little broth to help them stick)
- Lay strips onto cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes
- Toss occasionally to ensure even crisping.