A Hearty Vegetable Stew chock full of healthy starches, veggies, mushrooms, and a rich savory broth. Paired with a thick slice of homemade bread - perfect.
- 1 small Onion ((minced))
- 1 clove Garlic ((minced))
- 1 rib Celery ((minced))
- 1 Carrot ((minced))
- 1/4 cup Low Sodium Vegetable Broth ( )
- 1 large Onion ((chopped))
- 8 oz Button Mushrooms ((sliced))
- 8 oz Portobello Mushrooms ((sliced))
- 1 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 cup Red Wine (or broth) ((but the wine really adds a good flavor))
- 3 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth ( )
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes - no salt added ((15oz))
- 2 medium Carrots ((chopped))
- 2 ribs Celery ((chopped))
- 2 Yukon Gold Potatoes ((chopped))
- 1 can Tomato Sauce ((8oz))
- 1/2 tsp Kitchen Bouquet ((optional for color))
- 1 Tbs Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tbs Cornstarch
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- Mince the carrot, celery stalk, and small onion for the roux very fine.
- Saute this mixture in 1/4 cup of veggie broth until the veggies are nice and soft.
- Add the large chopped onion and continue cooking until softened.
- It’s ok if the liquid gets a little low – the brown bits add to the flavor.
- Add the mushrooms and cook on medium high until they lose their liquid.
- Season with the rosemary and italian seasoning.
- Add the wine and deglaze any brown spots in your pan. (This is the good stuff!)
- After a few minutes add the rest of the broth, the tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Add all your chopped veggies and turn the heat up to boil.
- Add the rest of the seasonings – but not the cornstarch.
- Once it’s boiling, turn down the heat to low and add the peas.
- Mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water and stir this in to thicken.
- Simmer to desired consistency.