These Vegan Baked Beans will surely be a ht at your next BBQ. That old fashioned baked bean taste - without hours of simmering on the stove, thanks to the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
- 1 lb Navy Beans ((picked over))
- 1 Tbs Kosher Salt
- 1 med White Onion ((diced))
- 1 Green Bell Pepper ((diced))
- 3 cloves Garlic ((minced))
- 1 tsp Japapeno ((minced - and optional))
- 2 cups Water
- 2 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 can Tomato Paste ((6oz))
- 1/4 cup Molasses
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar ((packed))
- 1 Tbs Yellow Mustard
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Pick through the beans, removing any debris, and then add them to a large pot. Cover with 2-3" of water and stir in salt. Bring to a boil.
- Boil beans for 1 minute, then remove from heat and cover. Allow to soak for at least 1 hour. After an hour has passed, drain and rinse beans thoroughly.
- Saute the diced onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño directly in your IP, on SAUTE mode, LESS power, until softened. Stir in minced garlic and then turn IP off.
- Add 2 cups of water and rinsed beans to IP and stir.
- In a separate bowl, combine veg broth, tomato sauce, molasses, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, pepper, and paprika and whisk until smooth. Pour sauce into beans and mix well.
- Attach lid, ensuring vent valve is set to SEALING, and then set IP to MANUAL, HIGH PRESSURE, and 45 MINUTES.
- Once countdown has completed, allow IP to naturally vent for at least 15 minutes, before carefully venting any remaining pressure manually.
Careful - the steam is HOT.
- Remove lid and stir beans. If there is still a lot of liquid, turn IP back on to SAUTE mode and continue cooking until desired consistency is reached.
- Taste and adjust for any seasonings if needed.