The autumn leaves are in full color and the jack o’lanterns are lit – that can only mean one thing! It’s time for some Vegan Butternut Soup!
- 1 large onion
- 2 carrots
- 5–6 cloves garlic
- 1 butternut squash (3.5 lbs)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 Tbs maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp rubbed sage
- 2 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Peel onion and cut into quarters. Peel garlic cloves. Clean carrots and cut into 3-4 pieces and arrange all veggies on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Carefully cut squash lengthwise into 2 equal pieces, and remove seeds & pulp. Arrange squash, cut-side UP, next to veggies, sprinkle a little salt, and roast for 1 hour.
- Allow squash to cool enough to safely handle.
- Scoop out the cooked squash, (discarding the skin) into a large soup pan or dutch oven and add the other roasted veggies.
- Add veg broth, water, maple syrup, salt, italian seasoning, and sage and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a steady simmer and cook for 30-45 min.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add apple cider vinegar and salt to taste
- Serve with your favorite garnish like roasted pumpkin seeds, cashew cream, parsley, chives, etc.
Keywords: vegan butternut squash soup