I am not, nor ever will be ... an "Egg Drop" guy. Nope, I like mine SPICY! So this Vegan Hot and Sour Soup is absolutely PERFECT with just the right combination of heat and tang.
- 2 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Water
- 8 oz Tofu ((extra firm))
- 8 oz Shiitake Mushrooms
- 4 oz Bamboo Shoots ((optional))
- 3 Tbs Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbs Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tbs Hoisin Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce ((or more to taste))
- 1/8 tsp White Pepper
- 3 Tbs Cornstarch
- 3 Tbs Water
- Drain Tofu and wrap in towels. Cover with something heavy and allow to press for 5-10 minutes. Then cut into 3/4" cubes.
- Rinse and de-stem mushrooms, then slice into strips. Set aside.
- Bring 2 cups of Low Sodium Vegetable Broth and 1 cup of Water to a slow boil in a large soup pot.
- Add mushrooms, tofu, bamboo shoots, soy sauce, and hoisin. Stir to combine. Let simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar, chili sauce, and pepper. Continue simmering for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk cornstarch and water together to make a slurry then stir into soup. It should begin to thicken immediately.
- Stir well and simmer until thickened.
Recipe originally published July 1, 2015.
Keywords: vegan hot and sour soup