Healthy also means delicious in this super easy-to-make Vegan Mushroom Bok Choy Soup. Who knew just a handful of ingredients could taste so good?
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 lb shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 lb portobello mushrooms, destemmed & sliced
- 2 medium bok choy, cleaned and chopped
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs low sodium soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbs white miso (optional but recommended)
- Dice the onion and add it to a large soup pan over med-low heat. You can add a tablespoon of water or veg broth to prevent sticking.
- While the onion is cooking, clean and destem the mushrooms and slice them into thin pieces. Add them to the pan and continue to simmer over med-low heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce, occasionally stirring
- Cut 1/2″ to 1″ off the end of each Bok Choy plant and rinse them thoroughly. Then slice the leaves into bite-sized pieces and add to the soup pan.
- Add 4 cups (1 qt carton) low sodium vegetable broth and increase heat to high.
- Once soup begins to boil, reduce heat to low and cover.
- Simmer soup for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Season with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of white miso before serving. Stir well to ensure the miso dissolves into the soup.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and chopped green onion if desired.
Keywords: asian soup, mushroom soup, bok choy soup