Who LOVES spicy Sichuan food as much as I do? If you do, then you have GOT to try my newest favorite recipe yet - my Vegan Mapo Tofu.
- 5 ounces Shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce plus 1 additional Tbls (divided)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (see note)
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 Tbls corn starch
- 3 Tbls water
- 16-ounce block medium-firm tofu
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbls Aardvark Black Bean Sauce
- 2 tsp gochugaru
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 minced green onions (whites & greens separated)
- 1-2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp gochujang
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup frozen peas & carrots
- Mix 1 tsp of soy sauce, the tahini, and black pepper together and stir into the mushrooms, mixing well to ensure they are evenly coated - set aside
- Whisk the cornstarch and water together to make a slurry - set aside
- Carefully drain the tofu and pat dry. Then cut it into cubes. Add salt to a pot of water and bring to a boil. Gently add the tofu and simmer the for 1 minute - remove from heat and set aside.
- Prep the veggies by mincing the garlic, ginger, and green onions
- In a large saute pan - saute the mushrooms until softened. (add a little water or broth as needed to prevent sticking)
- Add the minced onion whites, garlic, and ginger, and then stir in the black bean paste and gochugaru. Saute until veggies have softened and are aromatic. Mix well.
- Mix 1 cup of water, the remaining soy sauce, maple syrup, and gochujang, then add to the mushrooms.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add the peas & carrots, stir in the slurry, and gently fold in the drained tofu, making sure it gets coated in the sauce
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened and slightly reduced
- Top with green onion tops and serve over rice
- Note: If you want to use Sichuan Peppercorns, omit the black pepper in step 1 and toast 1/2 to 1 tsp of them in a dry pan over low heat until fragrant, then grind them into a powder. Sprinkle over top of the finished dish.
Keywords: mapo tofu, sichuan, gochugaru, Gochujang, doubanjiang, Chinese