You asked for it – and here it is. The ultimate comfort food made plant-based. Vegan Tuna Casserole. No nuts, no tofu, no oil, and gluten-free. Just for you.
- 12 oz brown rice fusilli pasta
- 15 oz can artichoke hearts (in water)
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2 ribs celery
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (optional)
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, cut into quarters (about 400g)
- 1 cup riced cauliflower
- 1/2 carrot (about 65 grams)
- 2 cups water (to steam the potatoes)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 2 Tbs dulse flakes
- 1 tsp old bay seasonsing
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (if needed)
- To prepare the sauce in an Instant Pot, add the potatoes, carrot, cauliflower, and water and set to manual for 7 min with a 10 min natural release.
- If you do not have an instant pot – simply steam them on the stove until they are very soft and a fork can be inserted easily.
- Drain and add to blender along with all the remaining sauce ingredients. (not the 2 cups of cooking water!) Blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Chop onion and celery and saute in a larke skillet using 1-2 Tbs water or veg broth until softened.
- Drain and rinse artichokes and chop coursely. Add to skillet along with minced garlic and stir.
- Cook 1-2 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add blender sauce to skillet and mix well.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Add peas to water just before the pasta is finished.
- Drain and add to skillet.
- Mix thoroughly and serve if gluten-free.
- Alternatively, pour into a casserole dish and top with optional panko bread crumbs. Bake at 375° F for 15-20 minutes ot until top has browned.
Keywords: vegan tuna casserole