This creamy tomatillo avocado sauce is SO easy to make. I used it on some smashed potatoes today and it was aMAZing! So fresh, so clean, and SO tasty!
- 10 tomatillos
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1 Tbs lime juice (1/2 lime)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Cover a baking tray with aluminum foil and a sheet of parchment paper (makes clean up a lot easier)
- Remove husks from tomatillos and rinse well. Cut the tomatillos in half and place them on the baking sheet, cut side down
- Place onion and garlic on the baking sheet as well – it’s ok to leave the skins on
- Remove stem and seeds from jalapenos and poblano and cut in half lengthwise, then place them on the baking sheet – also cut side down
- Place the baking sheet under a broiler and roast the vegetables until the tomatillos begin to soften and the peppers begin to blister – about 10-15 minutes. Watch carefully to not burn them!
- After roasting, place the poblanos into a baggie or paper sack to steam for 5-10 minutes. This makes removing the skins a whole lot easier.
- Please be sure and wash your hands after handling peppers!
- Remove as much of the outer poblano skin as possible and add the peppers to your blender.
- Add tomatillos, peeled garlic, peeled onion, and jalapenos to the blender and puree until smooth.
- Cut avocado in half and spoon the avocado flesh into the blender along with the cilantro, lime juice, and spices. Puree again until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning if needed and serve with your favorite dish.
Keywords: tomatillo avocado sauce