Crispy, crunchy, baked onion rings without all the grease and fat. The almond milk 'buttermilk' makes an excellent batter and seasoned panko breadcrumbs make the crunchy coating. You're going to want to give these babies a try!
- 1 large Sweet Yellow Onion (Vidalia or Walla Walla) ((sliced into rings))
- 1 1/2 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 3 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 Tbs Cornstarch
- 1 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbs Corn Meal
- 1 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt and Pepper
- 1 dash Cayenne Pepper
- Slice onion into 1/2 inch rings
- Mix almond milk and vinegar to make the 'buttermilk' and pour over onions in a shallow pan
- Cover and soak at least 1 hour in the refrigerator
- After soaking, pour off 1 cup of the 'buttermilk' and mix with flour and cornstarch to make a batter.
- Mix remaining ingredients in another small pan for the breading
- Dip each onion in batter and shake off excess.
- Lay battered onion in breading and with a separate spoon cover it completely with crumbs
- Transfer to cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and repeat
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes at 425 degrees. Flip rings and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- OR....Air Fry for 10-15 minutes at 350.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce
Tips Are Always Welcome!