For all you guys who loved Manwiches as a kid - this recipe's for you. Forget the beef - Lentils are the new thing - and with this homemade sauce? Pshhhhhh....
- 3/4 cup Red Bell Pepper ((minced))
- 3/4 cup Green Bell Pepper ((minced))
- 1 small Russet Potato ((diced))
- 1 cup Dried Lentils
- 2 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 can Tomato Paste ((6oz))
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Maple syrup
- 1/2 cup White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Yellow Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Allspice
- 1/8 tsp Red Chile Pepper Flakes
- 1/8 tsp White Pepper
- 1 pinch Ground Cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbls Cornsartch and 1 Tbls Water for thickener
- Saute peppers and potato in a little veggie broth until softened
- Nope: You could add a little chopped onion too.
- Add rinsed lentils and veggie broth and heat to boiling
- Reduce heat and partially cover for 45 min
- Meanwhile prepare sauce
- Add paste, water, corn syrup, vinegar, seasonings, to a small sauce pan
- Whisk until mixed thoroughly and heat until bubbly.
- Whisk cornstarch and a tablespoon of water to make a slurry
- Stir cornstarch slurry into sauce to thicken.
- Once lentils have absorbed most of their water, stir in sauce .
- Continue heating to desired consistency.