Wow it seems like FOREVER since I've been on here! I miss you guys!
Yeah, the new job is going fine - in fact, there's talk of hiring me permanently soon, which would be a REAL good thing as then I can start getting BENEFITS again!
Marketplace Health Insurance IS expensive - and that's all I want to say about that.
Anyway, I was creating in the kitchen last night and whipped up this version of one of my favorite sandwiches from my childhood......Manwiches!
Yes, I actually loved that stuff - as gross as it may sound now that we're all healthy Plant Based Gurus... But I tell you what - when you make it Plant Based? And from scratch? Without the Ketchup (as many copycat recipes do)?
It makes a WORLD of difference!
(I chose not to use ketchup to stay away from the High Fructose Corn Syrup)
It's a pretty easy recipe to make and yields a lot of sandwiches. Ladies - your husbands will love this stuff - trust me 🙂
Basically you make the sauce while your lentils are cooking and then mix them both together. Just that easy. Scoop onto your favorite Whole Wheat Buns and dinner is ready.
In this recipe I used:
- Lentils (which are ridiculously good for you and full of fiber)
- Red and Green Bell Peppers (pretty much standard for Manwich)
- and tiny chunks of Potatoes - (to help make it thick and hold it all together)
Paired with the homemade sauce I'll describe below - these make some mighty tasty sandwiches!
Let's just say I know what I'll be taking in my lunch this week!
Hope everyone is having a happy, healthy, holiday season and I'll see you soon!
For all you guys who loved Manwiches as a kid - this recipe's for you. Forget the beef - Lentils are the new thing - and with this homemade sauce? Pshhhhhh....
- ¾ cup Red Bell Pepper ((minced))
- ¾ cup Green Bell Pepper ((minced))
- 1 small Russet Potato ((diced))
- 1 cup Dried Lentils
- 2 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 can Tomato Paste ((6oz))
- ½ cup Water
- ½ cup Maple syrup
- ½ cup White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Yellow Mustard
- ½ tsp Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ⅛ tsp Allspice
- ⅛ tsp Red Chile Pepper Flakes
- ⅛ tsp White Pepper
- 1 pinch Ground Cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbls Cornsartch and 1 Tbls Water for thickener
- Saute peppers and potato in a little veggie broth until softened
- Nope: You could add a little chopped onion too.
- Add rinsed lentils and veggie broth and heat to boiling
- Reduce heat and partially cover for 45 min
- Meanwhile prepare sauce
- Add paste, water, corn syrup, vinegar, seasonings, to a small sauce pan
- Whisk until mixed thoroughly and heat until bubbly.
- Whisk cornstarch and a tablespoon of water to make a slurry
- Stir cornstarch slurry into sauce to thicken.
- Once lentils have absorbed most of their water, stir in sauce .
- Continue heating to desired consistency.