I recreated my wife's favorite Vegan Cauliflower Steak from Pelican Brewing on the Oregon Coast, and she said mine was actually better!
- 1 large head or 2 small heads of cauliflower
- pinch of salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder
- 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- your favorite BBQ sauce
Tomato/Red Pepper Salsa
- 4 oz cherry tomatoes
- 8 oz roasted red bell peppers
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
- pinch of salt
- Prepare the salsa by chopping the tomatoes and bell peppers and mincing the garlic and jalapeno. Add everything to a bowl and stir in the red wine vinegar. Salt to taste and set aside.
- Prepare the cauliflower by removing the outer leaves being careful to leave the core stem. This is what is holding all the florets together.
- Cut two 3/4" steaks from the center of the head and place in a shallow skillet with a lid
- The florets that crumble and any remaining cauliflower can be stored for soups, tacos, etc.
- Season each steak with a pinch of the seasonings and add the veggie broth to the pan
- Cover and lightly steam the steaks for 5 min
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- GENTLY transfer the steaks to a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Generously apply your favorite BBQ sauce to both sides of your cauliflower
- Roast for 25-30 minutes or until golden
- Transfer salsa to a small saucepan and warm
- Serve your steaks on a bed of spinach, arugula, rice, or whatever you like, and top with the warmed salsa.
Keywords: vegan cauliflower steaks, oil-free