Ok all you Gallagher fans, pull out your raincoats and your Sledge-O-Matic, because we’re smashing cucumbers – to make this oil-free Smashed Cucumber and Apple Salad!
- 1 english cucumber
- 1 red apple
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs rice vinegar (balsamic would work too)
- 1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1–2 tsp minced garlic
- 1–2 tsp PB2 (powdered peanut butter)
- 1 pinch red chile flakes (optional)
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Removed the plastic and cut off the ends of the cucumber.
- Re-wrap in cling wrap or a clean towel and smash flat.
- Dice into uniformly-sized pieces and add to a colander.
- Core apple and repeat the smashing/dicing process. Add to the colander.
- Add the salt and mix well.
- Place the colander over a clean bowl and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all the remaining ingredients together and set aside.
- After 30 minutes, add the drained cucumber & apple to the dressing and toss to mix
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve immediately.
- Or, let place it in the fridge for an hour or so to allow the flavors to develop.
Keywords: smashed cucumber salad