For all you sandwich lovers out there, these Vegan Portobello French Dip Sandwiches are IT! Mushrooms, caramelized onions, and a tangy Au Jus for dipping!
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 med bell peppers
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 16 oz portobello mushroom caps (4 large)
- 2 Tbs water or veg broth (if needed to prevent sticking)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 3/4 cup low sodium veggie broth
- 2 Tbs low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbs vegan worchestershire sauce
- 2 tsp molasses
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke (or smoked paprika)
- 1 Tbs corn starch or arrowroot
- Slice onion and peppers into thin rings/strips and add to a large skillet, sprinkle with salt.
- Cook onions and peppers on med heat, stirring frequently, until they begin to soften – use 1-2 Tbs veg broth or water to prevent sticking
- Add 2 tsp chopped garlic and stir to combine.
- Cut mushrooms into 1/4″ thick slices.
- Add mushrooms to skillet and saute until they begin to shrink in size and release their liquid. Add Italian seasoning and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Au Jus ingredients – veg broth, soy sauce, Worcestershire, molasses, liquid smoke, and cornstarch
- When the liquid from the mushroom has almost evaporated, slowly pour in the Au Jus.
- Simmer mushrooms in Au Jus until sauce slightly thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble sandwiches on the bread of your choice and enjoy!
Keywords: portobello french dip