For all you sandwich lovers out there, here is a Vegan Portobello French Dip I made the other night that is WAY better than any fast food you remember.
Slather on a little spicy brown mustard and you've got yourself one hearty sandwich!
Sandwiches can be hard sometimes, I know, because other than a veggie sandwich, or some processed soy junk you find in the grocery store, what are you going to put on them?
Portobello mushrooms have a chewy, beefy texture that can easily replace meat on any sandwich. Add some caramelized onions, sliced peppers, and a tangy Au Jus for dipping and NOW you got a sandwich!
As for the bun.... and I ALWAYS get asked about the bun.....
It can be REALLY hard to find bread or buns that don't contain a million preservatives or oil. But what I do is always look for the one that has the fewest number of ingredients and the least amount of calories from fat. Unfortunately, these usually do NOT come with the lowest price tag.
Dave's Killer Bread is always a good option for bread, and so is the Ezekiel brand - but there really isn't a lot of options unless you make it yourself from scratch.
But if nothing else, these French Dips would ALSO go great topped on a Baked Potato....just stuff the filling inside a big baker and pour on the Au Jus!
Now you got your meat AND potatoes all in one meal 🙂
Vegan Portobello French Dip
Take a LARGE sweet onion (vidalia, walla walla, etc) and slice it into thin rings. Also, slice up 2 Bell Peppers and toss all of these veggies into a skillet.
Sprinkle with a dash of salt - which will help draw out the moisture.
Cook over medium heat until they begin to soften. I did not need ANY liquid as my Walla Walla Sweet released a ton of its own. Just keep stirring so they don't stick or burn.
Meanwhile, rinse and dry 4 large Portobello Caps (I bought two 8oz packages) and then slice them into ¼" thick slices.
When the onions are almost done....add a few teaspoons of chopped garlic and stir well to mix.
Add the mushrooms to the skillet, and slowly sauté them until they begin to release their liquid. Use the 2 Tbs of Veggie Broth if needed to prevent sticking (or soy sauce, water, etc - just no oil). Season them with the Italian seasoning.
In a small bowl whisk the veggie broth, soy sauce, vegan Worcestershire, molasses, liquid smoke, and cornstarch together until smooth.
Note: Maple Syrup will work in place of the molasses and smoked paprika in place of the liquid smoke. Also, Vegan Worcestershire is available in many stores and does NOT contain anchovies. Check the label as it may not say vegan on the front.
Once the liquid has just about evaporated from the mushrooms, slowly pour in the bowl of Au Jus and stir to mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Let simmer a little bit in the Au Jus until the sauce thickens.
Hope you enjoy the sandwiches and thanks for all the comments!Print
For all you sandwich lovers out there, these Vegan Portobello French Dip Sandwiches are IT! Mushrooms, caramelized onions, and a tangy Au Jus for dipping!
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 med bell peppers
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 16 oz portobello mushroom caps (4 large)
- 2 Tbs water or veg broth (if needed to prevent sticking)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 ¾ cup low sodium veggie broth
- 2 Tbs low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbs vegan worchestershire sauce
- 2 tsp molasses
- ¼ tsp liquid smoke (or smoked paprika)
- 1 Tbs corn starch or arrowroot
- Slice onion and peppers into thin rings/strips and add to a large skillet, sprinkle with salt.
- Cook onions and peppers on med heat, stirring frequently, until they begin to soften - use 1-2 Tbs veg broth or water to prevent sticking
- Add 2 teaspoon chopped garlic and stir to combine.
- Cut mushrooms into ¼" thick slices.
- Add mushrooms to skillet and saute until they begin to shrink in size and release their liquid. Add Italian seasoning and mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Au Jus ingredients - veg broth, soy sauce, Worcestershire, molasses, liquid smoke, and cornstarch
- When the liquid from the mushroom has almost evaporated, slowly pour in the Au Jus.
- Simmer mushrooms in Au Jus until sauce slightly thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble sandwiches on the bread of your choice and enjoy!
Keywords: portobello french dip