A veganized version of a midwestern classic - Steak n Shake Chili. Serve with diced onion or over spaghetti for that classic Steak n Shake Chili Mac.
- 1 large Sweet Onion ((diced))
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbs Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 Tbs All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbs Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 cup Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 2 cloves Garlic ((minced))
- 1 Tbs Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Seasoned Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Ground Pepper
- 2 tsp Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 cup Any Cola ((coke or pepsi))
- 1/2 cup Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 can Tomato Sauce ((8oz))
- 1 can Tomato Paste ((6oz))
- 1/2 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 can Kidney Beans (15oz) ((drained & rinsed))
- 1 can Kidney Beans (15oz) ((with juice))
- Heat onion and salt in a few tablespoons of veg broth until brown and caramelized
- Add flour and stir to coat
- Add Balsamic Vinegar to make a thick Roux, scraping any brown bits on bottom of pan
- Add Veg Broth to make a thick soup
- Add garlic and remaining spices and stir to combine
- Add all liquid ingredients and stir until combined and thickened
- Add beans and simmer for 30 min or so on low heat.
Garnish with pickled jalapeños, diced onion.
Can also serve over Spaghetti for an authentic Steak n Shake Chili Mac.