Chilaquiles are traditionally enjoyed for breakfast in Mexico. I made them healthier by using fresh Salsa Verde, Tofu Queso, Corn Tortillas, & Veggies.
- 10 Tomatillos
- 4 cloves Garlic ((with skins))
- 1-2 Jalapeños ((deseeded))
- 1/2 med White Onion
- 1 Chipotle Pepper with Adobo
- 1/4 cup Cilantro ((packed))
- 2 Tbs Lime
- 1 tsp Mexican Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 14 oz Tofu ((extra firm))
- 4 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbs Lime Juice
- 1 Tbs Nutritional Yeast
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper ((diced))
- 1/2 White Onion ((diced))
- 1 cup Corn ((drained))
- 1 cup Black Beans ((drained))
- 2 small Zuchinni ((diced))
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 dash Cayenne Pepper
- 1 package Corn Tortillas
- Remove husks from Tomatillos and clean. Place on parchment lined cookie sheet along with whole garlic cloves (with skin), and the cleaned Jalapeño.
- Broil for 10 minutes or so - just until the veggies blacken and soften a little. Flip the veggies over after 5 minutes or so.
- Add the roasted veggies to your blender along with all the remaining ingredients except the onion. Blend until smooth and stir in the diced onion last.
- Cut Tofu into 2 small thin blocks and press with paper towels until thoroughly drained and dry. About 20 minutes.
- Crumble Tofu into small bowl and stir in remaining ingredients.
Chill until needed.
- Saute onion and bell pepper until softened. Then stir in corn and beans.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes or so and then stir in diced Zucchini. Add remaining seasonings and allow to simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- Cut tortillas into quarters and bake in oven until crisp.
- In an oven proof pan or casserole dish, lay down a thin layer of Salsa Verde to completely cover bottom. Cover with crumpled up tortilla chips.
- Add layer of Veggies, topped with a sprinkling of Queso Fresco.
- Repeat with more Salsa, Chips, remaining Veggies, and another sprinkling of Queso.
- Top with 2-3 Tbs of your favorite Salsa and baking in a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
Garnish with fresh Cilantro, Lime Wedges, additional Tortilla Chips, diced Avocado, and a dollop of my famous Green Chile Sour Cream.
Tips are always appreciated!