An oil-free version of a Mexican Classic, only Vegan, made entirely on your stovetop. Enjoy.
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 cup fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 white onion
- 1–2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp mexican oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 1/3 cup diced carrots (optional)
- Soak rice in hot water for 10 min
- Meanwhile, puree tomatoes, onion, garlic, chile powder, oregano, cumin in a blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Dice carrots and have both peas and carrots standing by.
- Drain the rice and rinse until the water runs clear – drain thorougly
- In a large non-stick skillet/dutch oven, toast the rice over med heat for 10 min or until color deepens
- Turn down the heat and stir in tomato puree – constantly stirring to avoid scorching
- Let tomatoes and rice cook 8-10 min or until almost dry
- Pour in broth, add salt, and stir in veggies – mix well and bring the heat up to high
- Cook uncovered for 20 minutes – DO NOT STIR
- Lower heat to the lowest setting, cover the pan with a clean kitchen towel, and add the lid.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest 15-20 minutes
- Remove lid and towel, fluff with a fork
- Serve and enjoy with a squeeze of lime and added cilantro or hot sauce
Keywords: vegan spanish rice, oil-free, mexican rice