A simple but delicious Vegan Potato Soup with a southwestern flair by the addition of Hatch Green Chiles. Perfect if you’re doing any kind of Potato Reset or Mary’s Mini Diet.
- 1 yellow Onion, diced
- 2 medium Carrots, diced
- 2 ribs Celery, diced
- 3–4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 5–6 Mild Hatch Green Chiles (or 1–2 cans of 8oz storebought green chile)
- 4 Russet Potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups low sodium Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Finely dice the onion, carrot, and celery and add to a large soup pot.
- Saute the veggies in a few tablespoons of veg broth or water until softened.
- Stir in 3-4 cloves of minced garlic and simmer 30 seconds
- Clean and de-seed 5-6 mild (or medium if you’re brave) roasted Hatch Green Chiles. (or use 1-2 cans of 8oz storebought green chile. I’d start with one and try it first, then maybe add the 2nd.
- Add chopped chiles to the soup and simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes, veg broth, water, and seasoning and stir well.
- Bring the soup up to a good, medium simmer and cover for at least 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked all the way through.
- Carefully – remove 2 or 3 ladles of soup and puree in a high-speed blender before adding back into the soup. Puree more if you like a smoother soup, but I like chunks of potatoes left in mine.
- Adjust seasoning if needed and serve.
Keywords: Vegan Potato Soup