What do you call a Shepherd's Pie that's topped with Flaky Biscuits instead of Mashed Potatoes? Is it now a Biscuit Pot Pie? I call it DELICIOUS!
- 3 med Carrots ((diced))
- 3 ribs Celery ((chopped))
- 1/4 med White Onion ((diced))
- 2 Yukon Gold Potatoes ((diced))
- 8 oz White Mushrooms
- 3 cloves Garlic ((minced))
- 1 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Dried Sage
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1 Tbls Flour ((thickener))
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth ((low sodium))
- 1/3 cup Red Wine ((optional))
- 1/2 tsp Vegan Worchestershire Sauce ( )
- 1-2 Tbls dried Lentils ((optional))
- Flaky Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe ((see recipe below))
- Chop carrots, celery, and onion and add to large stewpot, saute in a little veggie broth until softened
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook until softened
- Add Tomato Paste and spices and stir to combine
- Sprinkle flour over veggies and stir it in
- Slowly add Veggie Broth and increase heat to low boil
- Add the potatoes, Worcestershire Sauce, and the wine (if using)
- Add Lentls. Note: If you omit the wine - you may not need the lentils. Judge by the amount of liquid you have and if it has thickened or not. I used wine in my dish so added the Lentils to help absorb it. This will increase your cooking time by at least 20 minutes.
- Cook until thickened and adjust spices to taste
- Turn off heat and let stew cool so we can prepare the biscuits.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Prepare Biscuits as per RECIPE
- Roll our dough and use a cookie cutter (or jar) to cut out 12 biscuits about 1/2" to 3/4" thick
- Pour Stew into an 8" square casserole dish and top with 9 of the biscuit rounds
- You should have enough dough for 3 additional biscuits - simply cook them separately
- (They won't go to waste) 🙂
- Bake casserole (and biscuits) for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits have browned
- Let sit for at least 5 minutes to cool and then serve
Original Recipe Date: January 10, 2016
Click here for the Fluffy Buttermilk Vegan Biscuit Recipe.