If you're missing Chico's Tacos, then you've got to try my Oil-Free Taquitos - because ... well... they're the next best thing and you don't have to drive to El Paso to enjoy them! ?
- 12 corn tortillas (1 serving = 3 taquitos)
- Or try my homemade tortillas....
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Amazing Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Or your favorite vegan shredded cheese if you prefer
- 15 oz can refried beans
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1-2 Tbs vegan cheese sauce
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 oz can green chiles
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp marmite yeast extract (can substitute salt to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Prepare my cheese sauce if using - set aside
- Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, chiles, and 1 cup water to a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Strain tomato puree into a large pot/dutch oven using a fine-mesh sieve.
- Scrape contents of sieve until all the liquid is in the pot
- Repeat with remaining 3 cups water and veg broth
- Add seasonings and bring to a simmer. Cook 15-20 minutes.
- For the filling, add the ingredients to a small saucepan and simmer until heated through
- Lightly brush each tortilla with water and wrap in a kitchen towel or paper towels. Place them inside a tortilla warmer or BPA-free plastic bag and microwave until soft and pliable - up to 90 seconds. If they are still brittle you can heat them, one at a time, in a skillet, flipping occasionally.
- Spoon 1-2 Tbs of filling onto the lower third of each tortilla and roll.
- Place taquitos seam side down in an air fryer basket or parchment-lined baking sheet and cook at 350° F for 10-15 minutes or until crispy.
- To Plate: Ladle sauce over taquitos and cover with cheese sauce and/or your favorite salsa verde.
Keywords: oil-free taquitos