If you're looking for an AMAZING Fat Free Vegan Marinara Sauce - your search has ended!
Say goodbye to store-bought spaghetti sauce forever!
You know - that overpriced stuff that is usually nothing but cheap tomato sauce, lots of oil, and salt?
Oh, look! A clove of garlic! Yeah whatever….
This Fat Free Vegan Marinara Sauce is absolutely divine, completely oil-free, and so easy to make with common ingredients from your pantry. And it's versatile enough to use not just on pasta, but also as a dipping sauce for breadsticks or even as a pizza sauce.
Yeah, it's THAT good.
And the flavor?
Oh man. Like nothing, you've ever got out of a jar before. Let's just say I made a batch of this the other night and my 18-month-old grandson devoured it. And he's a picky eater.
It's INEXPENSIVE to make..
Did I mention there's no oil or added fat ???
And with hardly any sodium, strange chemicals OR preservatives..... you'll never buy those overpriced jars of store-bought sauce again.
Fat Free Vegan Marinara Sauce
Start by dicing your onion and bell pepper uniformly in size and sautéing them in a large pot until softened. Use a tablespoon of veggie broth or water to keep things from sticking.
Add some sliced mushrooms and let those shrink down a little.
Finally, add the garlic and let that simmer until any liquid that's left has all but cooked off.
Now add the wine and give your sauce a good stir. Let that cook for a minute or two and then add all the remaining ingredients.
Mix well and simmer on low heat for 20-30 minutes.
If the sauce seems too chunky, you can always use an immersion blender to get the consistency you like, or simply blend a cup or two in your high-speed blender and then add it back in.
Mmm.... nothing like homemade spaghetti sauce, just like mama used to make.....well - without the oil.
Fat Free Vegan Marinara Sauce (stovetop)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 Servings 1x
- Category: Sauce
- Cuisine: Italian
A quick and easy sauce that is thick, rich, fat free, low sodium, and has no strange chemicals or preservatives – you’ll never buy those overpriced jars of store-bought Marinara Sauce again.
- ⅓ cup Leeks or Onions ((diced))
- ⅓ cup Red Bell Pepper ((diced))
- ⅓ cup White Mushrooms ((sliced))
- 2 cloves Garlic ((minced))
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes - No Salt Added ((15oz))
- 1 can Fire Roasted Chopped Tomatoes ((15oz))
- 1 can Tomato Paste ((6oz))
- ½ cup Red Wine ( )
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar (or sweetener of choice) ((optional))
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Parsley
- ¼ tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- Salt to taste
- Finely dice the onion and bell pepper to a uniform size.
- Sauté all the veggies together in a saucepan, just until they soften. Use a tablespoon or two of veg broth or water to prevent sticking if needed.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and continue cooking until they have reduced in size and released their liquid.
- Stir in the minced garlic and continue simmering for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the wine and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes. The wine adds a very elegant flavor to the sauce, but can be replaced with veg broth if necessary.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and mix thoroughly.
- Add the remaining seasonings and simmer uncovered on low heat for about 30 minutes. The brown sugar is optional but helps reduce the overall acidity.
- If the sauce is too chunky for your liking – you can use an immersion blender or....blend a cup or two, to get the consistency you like.
If you have a Food Processor it will make a quick chore out of chopping all the veggies.
Since I added the can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes with their juice (and sodium) - I did not add any extra salt.
Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your own individual taste.
Tips are Always Welcome
I have made a lot of vegan fat free marinara sauces in my day. but yours is the very best.