Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans just kind of go together…..like Peanut Butter and Jelly. So it was only fitting they top this incredibly delicious Mexican Rice Bowl.
I LOVE RICE BOWLS!
Especially with a good helping of fresh veggies and some insanely tasty sauce to marry it all together.
So for last night’s dinner I made this Green Chile Avocado Dressing that is out of this WORLD good. And once I had THAT – it was just a matter of assembling my bowl.
Fluffy Brown Rice
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Tangy Black Beans
Fresh Sweet Corn, right off the Cob
And a blend of Roasted Onions & Peppers
This is another one of those meals that is SO easy to make……absolutely loaded with vitamins, minerals, and healthy starches….and that tastes AMAZING.
Hey all you non-vegans…..does this look like rabbit food to you? 🙂
Mexican Rice Bowl
The dressing is the secret ingredient to this amazing dish, and it’s SO easy to make.
In a blender we’re going to mix some Avocado, Vegan Buttermilk, Green Chiles, Garlic, Lime, and a little Cilantro until it’s thick and creamy. Season with a little salt and ground cumin and you’re good to go.
Vegan Buttermilk? If you whisk plain Almond Milk with a little Apple Cider Vinegar it makes a tasty Dairy-Free Vegan Buttermilk.
We’re going to chop 2 medium-sized Sweet Potatoes (or Yams – or whatever you call them – you know, those orange things!) and place them on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Be sure to spread them out evenly.
On the other half of the cookie sheet, arrange your roughly cut Onions and Bell Peppers.
Now, sprinkle with a good helping of salt and pepper and drizzle a light coating of Balsamic Vinegar over everything, potatoes and veggies. Roast in a 425° F oven for 20-25 minutes.
I used a fresh ear of Sweet Corn from the grocery store. Peel off the outer leaves and remove as many of the silk tassels as you can. Rinse well with water, close up the inner leaves around the corn, and wrap in a damp paper towel.
Microwave for 4 -5 minutes (depending on microwave wattage)
In a small saucepan, add a 15oz can of Black Beans, ¼ tsp Chili Powder, ¼ tsp Ground Cumin, and 2 Tbs of your favorite Salsa. Mix well and stir until bubbly.
Now, to put this bad boy together…….spoon a good amount of your favorite rice in the bottom of a large bowl. Top that with the Sweet Potatoes, some Black Beans, some Corn, and the Peppers.
And finally, drizzle a good helping of the Green Chile Avocado Dressing over everything.
Garnish with french Cilantro and Tomatoes.
Oh yeah. This is going to be GOOD.
- 1 1/2 large Avocados
- 3/4 cup Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 oz Green Chile
- 2 Tbs Lime Juice
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tbs Chopped Cilantro
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (diced)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (roughly chopped)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (roughly chopped)
- 1 Medium Red Onion (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1-2 Tbs Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 can Black Beans - Low Sodium (15oz can)
- 2 Tbs Salsa
- 1/4 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cumin
- Fresh Corn
- Fresh Tomatoes
- Fresh Cilantro
- Begin preparing your rice.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Add all Dressing ingredients to blender and mix until creamy
- Add 1 Tbs water at a time to reach desired consistency
- Chop 2 sweet potatoes and add to parchment lined cookie sheet
- Chop Peppers and Onion and add to cookie sheet
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with Balsamic Vinegar
- Roast for 20 minutes
- Simmer Black Beans in a small sauce pan with Chili Powder, Cumin, and Salsa
- Add rice to large bowl and top with veggies, beans, and corn
- Add dressing to coat and garnish with cilantro and fresh tomatoes