If you love mushrooms - this is the recipe for you.
Imagine a rich, savory stew of mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, celery and gravy, and then pour it over a piping hot piece of homemade cornbread.
Yeah it's like that - only it tastes a million times better than I could ever describe.
Did I mention it's perfect for the cooler fall temperatures?
And this may just be THE recipe that has even the non-vegans drooling for more.
No fancy ingredients, just real food that everyone already has in their cupboard.
You're going to love this one.
Savory Mushroom Pot Pie
Saute a few cloves of garlic and about a cup of chopped onions in your favorite soup pan.
On a side note - I did use some sweet onions last night - thinking that maybe since my daughter's Crohn's Surgery is over and she's healing so well - maybe she could tolerate a little onion - sweet onion at that. Nope. Back to the Leeks for me.
Then add in 16oz of your favorite mushrooms. I used 8oz of Baby Bellas and 8oz of White Button. Add a splash of Veggie Broth to keep things from sticking.
Now pour in ¼ cup of Low Sodium Soy Sauce and let that come to a simmer. This smell alone will have everyone running to the kitchen to see what you're doing....guaranteed.
Add to the pot 4 small stalks of chopped celery, 4 small carrots also chopped, and a diced Yukon Gold potato.
Sprinkle in ½ tsp dried Thyme, ¼ tsp rubbed Sage, and ¼ tsp ground Pepper.
Now stir in 1 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce (there are vegan versions available) and 1 Tablespoon of Tomato Paste.
Stir everything well so all the spices are mixed in, and then sprinkle in ⅓ cup of flour and stir that until it becomes thick and gummy.
Now pour in 1 ¼ cups of Low Sodium Veggie Broth and let it thicken.
For the Cornbread batter, I used my Country Vegan Cornbread Recipe.
Just prepare the batter as directed, and then layer a 15" x 10" baking dish with the stew and pour the cornbread batter on top.
Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
I constantly hear how people think we deprive ourselves by being Vegan or Plant-Based.
I have to laugh - because we are anything but deprived and with every dinner I make - I prove them wrong.
Real food, with real ingredients, that taste amazing, with no added fats, oils, cholesterol, or chemicals.
That's what this site is all about.
Good healthy food.
A Savory Mushroom Pot Pie stuffed with sautéed mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, celery and gravy, and topped with a homemade cornbread crust.
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup onion or leek (diced)
- 8 oz mushrooms (white button)
- 8 oz mushrooms (baby bella)
- ¼ cup soy sauce (low sodium)
- 4 stalks celery (chopped)
- 4 small carrots (chopped)
- 1 Yukon potato (diced into cubes)
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp sage
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp vegan worchestershire sauce
- 1 Tbls tomato paste
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- Saute garlic and onion in a splash of veggie broth
- Add mushrooms and soy sauce and simmer until bubbly
- Add in vegetables and spices and stir to combine
- Add Worcestershire and tomato paste and stir to combine
- Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until veggies have softened
- Sprinkle on flour and stir until the stew is thick and gummy
- Add veggie broth and stir to combine, the stew will thicken immediately
- Prepare batter for Vegan Country Cornbread
- Add stew to 15" x 10" baking dish and pour cornbread batter over the top
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes