If you love mushrooms – this is the recipe for you.
Imagine a rich, savory stew of mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, celery and gravy, and then pour it over a piping hot piece of homemade cornbread.
Yeah it’s like that – only it tastes a million times better than I could ever describe.
Did I mention it’s perfect for the cooler fall temperatures?
And this may just be THE recipe that has even the non-vegans drooling for more.
No fancy ingredients, just real food that everyone already has in their cupboard.
You’re going to love this one.
Savory Mushroom Pot Pie
Saute a few cloves of garlic and about a cup of chopped onions in your favorite soup pan.
On a side note – I did use some sweet onions last night – thinking that maybe since my daughter’s Crohn’s Surgery is over and she’s healing so well – maybe she could tolerate a little onion – sweet onion at that. Nope. Back to the Leeks for me.
Then add in 16oz of your favorite mushrooms. I used 8oz of Baby Bellas and 8oz of White Button. Add a splash of Veggie Broth to keep things from sticking.
Now pour in 1/4 cup of Low Sodium Soy Sauce and let that come to a simmer. This smell alone will have everyone running to the kitchen to see what you’re doing….guaranteed.
Add to the pot 4 small stalks of chopped celery, 4 small carrots also chopped, and a diced Yukon Gold potato.
Sprinkle in 1/2 tsp dried Thyme, 1/4 tsp rubbed Sage, and 1/4 tsp ground Pepper.
Now stir in 1 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce (there are vegan versions available) and 1 Tablespoon of Tomato Paste.
Stir everything well so all the spices are mixed in, and then sprinkle in 1/3 cup of flour and stir that until it becomes thick and gummy.
Now pour in 1 1/4 cups of Low Sodium Veggie Broth and let it thicken.
For the Cornbread batter, I used my Country Vegan Cornbread Recipe.
Just prepare the batter as directed, and then layer a 15″ x 10″ baking dish with the stew and pour the cornbread batter on top.
Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
I constantly hear how people think we deprive ourselves by being Vegan or Plant-Based.
I have to laugh – because we are anything but deprived and with every dinner I make – I prove them wrong.
Real food, with real ingredients, that taste amazing, with no added fats, oils, cholesterol, or chemicals.
That’s what this site is all about.
Good healthy food.
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup onion or leek diced
- 8 oz mushrooms white button
- 8 oz mushrooms baby bella
- 1/4 cup soy sauce low sodium
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 4 small carrots chopped
- 1 Yukon potato diced into cubes
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp sage
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp vegan worchestershire sauce
- 1 Tbls tomato paste
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- Saute garlic and onion in a splash of veggie broth
- Add mushrooms and soy sauce and simmer until bubbly
- Add in vegetables and spices and stir to combine
- Add Worcestershire and tomato paste and stir to combine
- Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until veggies have softened
- Sprinkle on flour and stir until the stew is thick and gummy
- Add veggie broth and stir to combine, the stew will thicken immediately
- Prepare batter for Vegan Country Cornbread
- Add stew to 15" x 10" baking dish and pour cornbread batter over the top
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes