Looking for something a little exotic for dinner tonight? But without a lot of fuss?
Then you have to try this Tofu Mushroom Curry from Archana's Kitchen. The Ginger Mustard Sauce is to die for.
I was browsing the internet last night looking for simple rice dishes to cook and ran across this recipe from Archana's Kitchen. I am not much of a curry guy, nor am I a tofu guy, but I had all the ingredients on hand, and the mustard sauce sounded interesting so I gave it a go.
So simple to make but yet so flavorful.
Completely Plant Based
100% McDougall friendly
Easy 1 pot cooking
Tofu Mushroom Curry in Ginger Mustard Sauce
I'll admit the Ginger Mustard Sauce is what intrigued me. As it turns out, it's simply a slurry of corn starch and water with a little Dijon Mustard and Soy Sauce whisked in.
It sounds like an odd mixture to a country boy like me, but when you pour this sauce into your pot, it thickens up nicely into a really tasty sauce that makes this whole dish just pop.
The recipe also calls for a tablespoon of honey. If you're an anti-honey vegan, you can probably sub in a tablespoon of agave nectar or maybe even maple syrup.
I left out the oil in the original recipe and had no problems sautéing my veggies. The Sesame Seed/Honey mixture was the perfect base to sauce all my veggies and of course the mushrooms will add a bit of their own liquid as well.
The honey adds just the right amount of sweetness to counter the tartness of the mustard sauce.
I served this over rice, but I can easily see this used as a topper for noodles or even a baked potato too.
Thanks Archana - I can definitely see this added to my weekly rotation.
This Mushrooms Tofu Curry in a Ginger Mustard Sauce is a 1 pot dish that comes together in 30 minutes or less. Serve over rice for a quick & easy dinner.
- 8 oz white mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 inch piece of ginger (grated)
- 1 package firm tofu (cubed)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 2 Tbls corn starch
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbls dijon mustard
- 1 tsp soy sauce (low sodium variety)
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp red chile flakes
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 Tbls honey (or sweetener of choice)
- Combine the corn starch and water. Whisk until there's no lumps remaining. Add mustard, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and chile flakes. Whisk thoroughly and set aside.
- Heat the honey in a non-stick pan until it liquifies. Add in sesame seeds and stir until bubbly.
- Add in chopped red bell pepper and saute over medium high heat until softened
- Add in grated ginger and saute until softened and aromatic
- Add in mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes until softened
- Stir in tofu and cook for a minute to combine
- Slowly stir in sauce and cook over medium low heat until thickened.
Serve over rice or noodles. Garnish with sliced green onions.