Who doesn't love pasta?
Creamy. Garlicky. Cheesey. Oh my - looks decadent, doesn't it?
And it's all yours, guilt-free, as this version of the classic garlic alfredo sauce uses no dairy, cream, butter, or even cheese.
Instead, I used a combination of onion, veggie broth, almond milk, cashews, and nutritional yeast that come together in a sauce you'd swear was store bought.
Judging from the reaction of my wife and daughter last night, this one's a definite keeper so you might just want to file this one away right now
The trick is giving the cashews a nice long soak which helps soften them up.
As my pasta was happily boiling away I sautéed a few mushrooms in a couple of tablespoons of white wine.
Mmmm - mushrooms.
And I didn't even cook the tomatoes at all - just folded them into the pasta.
Everything came together beautifully.
And it was delicious.
A rich, decadent Vegan Alfredo without the dairy, fat, or cheese. Super creamy and super delicious this healthier version will curb your Alfredo cravings for sure. I served this sauce with Angel Hair pasta, sautéed mushrooms, and dices tomatoes.
- 1 ½ cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- ¾ Onion ((diced))
- 4 cloves Garlic ((minced))
- 2 Tbs Flour
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- ½ cup Cashews ((unroasted))
- 3 Tbs Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Nutritional Yeast
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Garlic Pwoder
- 1 box Pasta Noodles ((16oz))
- 8 oz Crimini Mushrooms
- 2 Tbs White Wine
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes ((15oz))
- Rinse cashews and soak them in clean water for at least 1 hour
- Dice the onion and sauté in 1 cup of the vegetable broth until softened
- Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the liquid is almost completely evaporated
- Add the flour and stir to coat
- Cook the onion/flour mixture for 1 minute and then scrape into blender
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the cashews and process until smooth
- Adjust salt and pepper to your taste
- Prepare your pasta according to the package directions
- Meanwhile sauté the mushrooms in the white wine until nicely browned
- When the pasta is finished, drain and add it back into your pan
- Fold in the mushrooms, tomatoes, and sauce