Sometimes you just gotta have something sweet. You know?
Something rich, chewy, and most importantly ….. chocolaty!
So just for those special occasions, those special treat days, when you just have to munch on something sweet, let me introduce you to some pretty gosh darn good
Chewy Vegan Brownies
Mind you these are not everyday brownies. Oh no.
They are healthified somewhat by subbing Flax Meal in for the eggs, and applesauce in for the butter.
But I wouldn’t exactly call these brownies healthy. Not quite.
Vegan – yes. Healthy – doubt it. Especially if you eat the whole pan like I almost did.
But they are brownies!
Little moist squares of chewy, chocolaty goodness that demand to be eaten up in one sitting.
So with that being said, your sugar high awaits you….
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbs Ground Flax Seeds
- 6 Tbs Hot Water
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Add ground flax seed to the hot water, stir then set aside
- In a large bowl mix applesauce, sugar, and maple syrup until combined
- Stir in flax seed mixture and vanilla and stir to combine
- Using an electric mixer, blend in cocoa powder
- Finally blend in flour, scraping sides, until a thick bater if formed.
- Fold in the walnuts if you're using them.
- Line a 8" pan with aluminum foil allowing some to overhang
- Cut a 8" square of parchment paper and lay down on top of foil
- Pour in batter spreading evenly
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- When done, grab foil to lift brownies out to cool
- Parchment paper will peel away when completely cool