Aaaahhhh, so GOOD to be home where I can enjoy some comfort food, like this Homemade Tomato Soup.
For those of you who didn't catch it from my Facebook posts, my very dear father-in-law passed away last Tuesday. So this last week has been a roller coaster of long road trips, visits with family members I haven't seen in years, a tear-jerking funeral service, and of course trying to stay vegan during the whole thing.
But now that I'm home, and things are somewhat back to normal, it's back to the stovetop. And today I made this amazingly simple Homemade Tomato Soup.
Simple in that all the ingredients came right out of my pantry and into my soup bowl in less than an hour.
Tomato Soup has always been comfort food at its best. Rich, flavorful. and so satisfying. Perfect for dunking Melba Toast, or a grilled cheese sandwich made with My Amazing Cheese Sauce.
A simple recipe with simple ingredients, completely plant-based, using real, whole foods. What could be better?
To borrow a tagline from that famous soup company that seems to have salt as its main ingredient anymore, it really is ….
Mmmmm Mmmmm Good.
Tomato Soup has always been comfort food at its best. A simple recipe with simple ingredients, completely plant-based, using real, whole foods.
- 14 oz can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 stalk Celery (diced)
- 1 small Carrot (diced)
- 1 small Yellow Onion (diced)
- 3-4 cloves small Garlic (minced)
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth (low sodium variety)
- ¾ tsp dried Basil
- ¼ tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbls heaping Tomato Paste
- Saute vegetables in broth until softened, about 10 minutes
- Stir in tomatoes with juice, broth, basil, and vinegar.
- Heat to simmer and cook for 10-20 minutes
- Transfer to blender and blend until smooth
- Return to pan and fold in tomato paste
- Garnish with fresh parsley if desired