This Savory Mushroom Stew is absolutely perfect for those cold, rainy evenings when you just want something warm and hearty.
You know.... comfort food!
And what's more comforting than a thick, rich stew poured over some freshly made mashed potatoes or even some fluffy wild rice?
Thick chewy mushrooms
With little bits of chopped carrot and potato
All swimming in a rich and savory broth of Veggies and Red Wine.
Mmmmmmmmm........please pass the rolls!
Savory Mushroom Stew
I was fishing around the refrigerator last night looking for something to cook, and spied a few cartons of mushrooms that needed to be used up.
Mushroom Stew it is.
It's quick, it's hearty, it's low-fat, and it's that "stick to your ribs" kind of filling, especially when you pour it over some lovely starches like rice, pasta, or potatoes.
We're going to start by sautéing a chopped carrot and onion in about ⅓ cup of vegetable broth until softened and slightly browned. Just be sure and keep things stirred up a bit so nothing sticks.
Add a little salt and pepper here to season and then save them to another bowl.
To our now-empty pot, add an 8oz package of Brown Mushrooms (Baby Bella) and another 8z package of White Mushrooms (Button, Crimini) and cook over medium heat until softened. The mushrooms will release their own liquid so there should be plenty of moisture for cooking.
You can always add a splash of Veg Broth if it looks like anything's going to stick.
Season the mushrooms with ¼ tsp of Thyme, ¼ tsp of Rubbed Sage, and a dash of red cayenne pepper. Stir to combine and stir in 1 Tbs of Tomato Paste and a 15oz can of Diced Tomatoes.
Let that simmer for 3-4 minutes and then evenly sprinkle in 1 Tbs of flour to thicken it up.
Stir the onions back in and add ½ cup of Red Wine. Any flavor will do and the alcohol will be completely evaporated off.
The Wine adds a richness that's hard to duplicate with just water or Veg Broth alone.
Finally, add in 1½ cups of Vegetable Broth, 1 chopped potato, and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Allow that to simmer until the potatoes are soft and cooked through.....about 15-20 minutes.
Season with 1 Tbs of Soy Sauce, ½ tsp Red Wine Vinegar, and a few shakes of salt and pepper.
You can serve as is, or ladle over cooked rice, pasta, or mashed potatoes.
As always, please leave those comments! I love hearing from you!
This Savory Mushroom Stew is absolutely perfect for those cold, rainy evenings when you just want something warm and hearty. You know.... comfort foods.
- 1 med Yellow Onion (diced)
- 1 med Carrot (diced)
- 1/ 3 cup Vegetable Broth (low sodium)
- 8 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 8 oz White Button Mushrooms
- ¼ tsp Thyme
- ¼ tsp Rubbed Sage
- 1 dash Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes (15oz)
- 1 Tbs Flour
- ½ cup Red Wine
- 1 ½ cups Vegetable Broth (low sodium)
- 1 med Potato (diced)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Tbs Soy Sauce (low sodium)
- ½ tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 dash Salt & Pepper (to taste)
- Saute onion and carrot in ⅓ cup veg broth until softened and lightly browned
- Season with salt and pepper
- Remove to separate bowl.
- Add mushrooms to pot and cook over med heat until reduced
- Add thyme, sage, and pepper and stir to combine
- Add tomato paste and tomatoes and simmer for 3-4 minutes
- Sprinkle on flour and mix well
- Stir the onions back into the pot.
- Add Red Wine and mix well
- Add remaining Veg Broth, potato, and garlic and simmer until potato has softened
- Season with Soy Sauce and Red Wine Vinegar
Serve as is or ladle over Mashed Potatoes, Pasta, or Rice