It’s a simple recipe actually, requiring only a few basic ingredients. Whole wheat flour, unsweetened plant milk, a little seasoning, and my secret ingredient that makes it so thick and velvety, which is…..
Not those packages of instant potatoes you see in the store (although they probably would work in a pinch). Those are full of weird ingredients and have oil – not to mention a TON of sodium, so not the healthiest choice.
No, I’m talking about plain, old-fashioned potato flakes where the ONLY ingredient is dehydrated potatoes.
I realize not everyone will have access to the brands that I do living here in Oregon, but check your stores and see if they have one with just potatoes listed as the ingredient. Bob’s Red Mill is one such brand and no, this is not a paid endorsement, I just like their products.
If you can’t find any I will add my Amazon Link below. Remember that as an affiliate I do earn a small commission on each sale but at no extra cost to you.
Amazon Link: https://amzn.to/3nKRjZJ
I have used these many times to thicken a soup or stew, and now I use them to thicken my gravy. Kinda ironic isn’t it? We all pour gravy ON our potatoes and now we are putting the potatoes IN our gravy? Anyway, it works.
Before we get started – I’m sure there will be a million questions asking if this can be made gluten-free. All I can say is – try it and report back in the comments. I am not gluten-intolerant so I honestly do not know.
And if you’re asking for the biscuit recipe – I’ll add that link right here.
Otherwise, I hope you enjoy the recipe whether you’ll pour it over biscuits, potatoes, or even toast. And if this reminds you in any way of your favorite childhood memories, please let me know in the comments below. Mine would be walking down to the corner grill every morning before school to meet my mom and have biscuits & gravy for breakfast.
Miss you mom.
Southern Vegan Cream Gravy
The Southern Vegan Cream Gravy is easy to make and great for those times you want a little comfort-food taste of home.
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbs nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp rubbed sage (not the powder)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened plant milk (oat, almond, soy)
- 1 Tbs low-sodium tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup dehydrated potato flakes
- Additional salt & pepper to taste
- Whisk all the dry ingredients together EXCEPT the potato flakes
- Pour the dry mix into a DRY skillet or pan (no oil, broth, or water)
- Gently toast the dry mix until it smells like…TOAST
- Whisk the tamari into the milk and gently pour into pan
- Whisk to remove any lumps
- Bring to a simmer and add potato flakes
- Gently stir until thickened
Keywords: vegan cream gravy