After a few days out of town, it is SO good to be back home, and in my kitchen! And first thing on the menu is this incredible Lemon Chicken Recipe I had saved in my “Recipes to Veganize” Folder on Pinterest.
Every now and again I’ll see a SAD recipe that makes me stop and pay attention.
THIS recipe from 12 Tomatoes was one of those recipes. Their video made it look SO good I knew I would modify it sooner or later.
My version has :
- Butler Soy Curls in place of the Chicken
- The addition of Fresh Mushrooms
- Wild Rice & a cubed Yukon Gold Potato
- Fresh Carrots, Celery, and Leeks
- All swimming in a thick, lemony broth perfect for dunking’ in a biscuit or two
Thick enough to be a meal all by itself, but thin enough to pour over a fresh baked potato or a steaming bowl of brown rice too.
Now THIS is the kind of comfort food a guy can get used to!
Lemon Chicken with Mushrooms & Wild Rice
In a a large soup pan, add about 1 cup of chopped celery (2 stalks), 1 cup of chopped carrots, and 1½ cups of chopped onion (or leeks). For those of you would-be food nerds – the French call this a Mirepoix. Sauté the veggies in about ¼ cup of veggie broth until softened – about 5 to 10 minutes.
Now add in a 8oz package of Mushroom and simmer until they too are softened and lose their liquid.
Add in about 3 cloves of freshly minced garlic and stir for about a minute until aromatic, then add 6 cups of low-sodium Vegetable Broth, 2 Bay Leaves, a teaspoon of Dried Thyme, and ¼ tsp of Garlic Powder.
Bring this to a boil and then add 1 cubed, Yukon Gold Potato, and ½ cup of uncooked wild rice.
In a separate bowl or measuring cup, whisk 4 Tbls of Corn Starch with ½ cup of unsweetened Almond Milk to make a slurry, then slowly stir this into the soup, stirring often as it gradually thickens.
(Affiliate Link to Amazon Here) Note: When you purchase something through my Affiliate Links, I receive a commission that helps support this site at no extra cost to you.
Finally – add ¼ cup of Lemon Juice, and 2 tsp of Lemon zest. To zest a Lemon, use a grater to scrape off the yellow part of the peel. This is the zest. Do not get down into the white pithy part as it is usually very bitter.
Taste for seasoning – I added about ½ tsp each of both Black Pepper and Salt. Adjust to your own individual taste.
Garnish with a teaspoon or two of chopped chives and slices of freshly cut lemon.
Mmm Bon Apetit!
Serves: 8 Bowls
- 1 cup Carrots, chopped
- 1 cup Celery, chopped
- 1½ cups Onions, chopped (or Leeks)
- ¼ cup Vegetable Broth
- 8oz Mushrooms (Baby Bella, White Button)
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 6 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ cup Corn Starch
- ½ cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 Yukon Gold Potato, cubed
- ½ cup Wild Rice, uncooked
- ½ bag Butler Soy Curls
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Lemon Zest
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- Saute Carrot, Celery, & Onion in ¼ cup Broth until softened, 5-10 minutes
- Add Mushrooms and cook until softened
- Add Garlic and stir for 1 minute until aromatic
- Add remaining broth, bay leaves, thyme, and garlic powder and bring to a boil
- Add potato and rice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk corn starch and almond milk to make a slurry, and add to soup
- Reduce heat, add Soy Curls, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring often
- Add Lemon Juice and Zest and stir to incorporate
- Season with salt and pepper