These BBQ Cauliflower Wings will be a great addition to any party. Tangy batter-dipped pieces of cauliflower, baked to perfection and then slathered with your favorite BBQ sauce. Yum!
This is another older recipe I first published in 2016 but badly needed new photos.
It's a very simple recipe where you basically cut up a head of cauliflower, make a batter, dip, and bake. You add your favorite BBQ sauce when you pull them out and bake a few minutes more.
Can't get any easier than that.
I kept the recipe exactly the same but I did add a heaping teaspoon of hot sauce to my BBQ sauce to give it a kick. My wife was NOT happy but oh they were SO good!
I've seen various vegan ranch dressings on the market you can use if you want a dip, or I happen to have my own Cool Vegan Ranch Recipe here.
BBQ Cauliflower Wings
To make these yummy BBQ Cauliflower Wings, we're going to break up one small head of cauliflower into bite-sized florets. We then hand dip them into a homemade batter and then bake them in a 450° F oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
The batter is simply a combination of flour, cornmeal, a few spices, and plant milk. I have not tried using gluten-free flour but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
Once baked - try not to eat them all before slathering on your favorite BBQ sauce because yes - they are THAT good even now.
Carefully coat your 'wings' with your favorite sauce and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
I used Stubbs Sticky Sweet BBQ Sauce for convenience, and because it has no weird chemicals. Their Sweet Heat is another favorite or you can do as I did and just add some hot sauce.
A lot of vegans I've met really like something called Bone Suckin' Sauce, so there's that option too. Just make sure you read the ingredients.
The sauce you use is totally up to you, and yes, I even have a homemade BBQ Sauce I used in my BBQ Soy Curl Recipe. It's sweet and smoky but has none of the HFCS you'll find in store-bought sauces.
And as for dipping? Although totally optional (because these wings are very good all on their own) I highly recommend serving them with my Cool Vegan Ranch Dressing.
These BBQ Cauliflower Wings will be a great addition to any party. These wings are batter-dipped and then baked to crispy perfection, perfect for slathering on your favorite BBQ sauce.
- 1 small head of Cauliflower (about 1 ½ cups)
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper (or 1-2 teaspoon of hot sauce)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Vegan Ranch Dressing (optional)
- Celery for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash cauliflower and break into bite sized pieces
- Mix milk and vinegar together and set aside
- Mix all dry batter ingredients in a large bowl
- Pour in milk and stir thoroughly to make a thick batter
- Dip each cauliflower byte into the batter and ensure they are evenly coated
- Place on a cookie sheet and repeat until all pieces are coated
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from oven and carefully brush on the BBQ sauce.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes
- Serve with celery and vegan ranch dressing on the side
Keywords: vegan bbq cauliflower wings